Block II, almost through
[Original date posted: 4/8/2012]
I have committed the ultimate sin of blogging: I stopped writing. This semester has been a whirlwind of revelations and connections of epic proportions. I am more motivated than ever as a teacher, as a citizen, as a person. I’ve started to educate myself more and more on what is happening politically and beginning to learn how I will be an advocate for education throughout my career.
My current soapboxes:
- High-stakes standardized testing
- the Opportunity Gap (widely referred to as the Achievement Gap)
- Institutionalized racism and suppression/lack of representation of minority voices
- Cultural deficit theory and its damaging effect on how minorities are perceived in this country
- Corporate education reform: the privatization of education and subsequent destruction of public education
There’s so much going on right now, it’s hard to know where to start and where to break it down. I will do my best to keep up on writing but the semester is anything but slowing down.
Happy news: my first student teaching assignment is in kindergarten! I am absurdly excited, I could hardly contain myself when I found out. I can’t wait to teach!